2014 Lights On Afterschool Photo Contest
This October, as part of the nation’s 15th annual Lights On Afterschool awareness celebration, the San Francisco Expanded Learning Collaborative will shine a light on afterschool programs that demonstrate intentionality in their program design.
Building on the August Institute’s theme of “Intentional Design in Practice,” the San Francisco Expanded Learning Collaborative is hosting a photo contest focused on the ELC’s 11 Elements of Quality for Out of School Time Programs. Get your program staff, family and youth involved in posing for a picture that demonstrates one of the 11 Elements of Quality. By participating in the contest, you will be able to engage your stakeholders and partners in understanding the work you do, show San Francisco City leaders how you provide opportunities for youth, and share best practices with other programs working toward the same goals.
How to enter:
STEP 1: PLAN AND REGISTER A LIGHTS ON EVENT BY SEPT. 26th
Help support national and local advocacy efforts by organizing an event, open house or parent day as your Lights On Afterschool celebration. The Afterschool Alliance has an event planning kit so you can get ideas from past events or support in planning. Lights On Afterschool is October 23rd this year, but you can register an event for any day that week. When you set a date for your event, make sure your program registers with the Afterschool Alliance by September 26th. Not only will your registered event be seen as a national advocacy effort, but the ELC will be able to share it with local elected officials and leaders in education to reiterate how important afterschool is to the youth and families of San Francisco!
STEP 2: SUBMIT A PHOTO
Take a photo* that demonstrates how youth, staff or parents engage in one or each of the following 11 Elements of Quality for Out of School Time Programs. You may enter one photo for each element of quality. In order to have the best photo quality, take pictures with a camera that has at least 8 megapixels. Be creative and have fun! For more information about each element, follow the links below to the chapters in the ELC Resource Guide.
1. Program Assessment and Design
2. Program Administration and Finance
3 Community Partnerships and Collaboration
4. Alignment and Linkage with School Day
5. Program Environment and Safety
6. Youth Development
7. Staff Recruitment and Professional Development
8. Family Involvement
9. Nutrition and Physical Activity
10. Promoting Diversity, Access, Equity and Inclusion
11. Effectively Supporting English Language Learners
* You must have each person in your photos sign a photo release form, which will need to be included in your photo submission to DCYF. Download the photo releases here: Child Photo Release Adult Photo Release
UPDATE! The deadline to submit photos has been extended to October 20th.
1) Email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Lights On Contest-Agency name, Program Name”
2) In the body of the email, include:
a. Contact name and phone number
b. Agency and Program Name
c. Which one of the 11 Elements of Quality your photo is demonstrating
d. A caption of what is happening in the photo and how the activity, event or action supports your selected element of quality.
3) Attach a scanned copy of all photo release forms
See the sample submission email below
STEP 3: VOTE
You decide which programs’ photo best depicts each element between October 21st and October 30th. All contest submissions will be posted on the ELC Facebook page and emailed to participants. Encourage parents, program staff, community members and supporters to visit the Facebook page and “like” your picture. You can link to the page on your own website and social media to promote your submission. The photos with the most “likes” will be in the running to win, with the final winners chosen by a panel of Expanded Learning Collaborative judges. Voting will close at 11:59 p.m. PST October 30th.
1) Like the Expanded Learning Collaborative Facebook Page
2) Like the photo that best depicts each element under ELC’s Lights On Afterschool Photo Contest 2014 Facebook album
3) Encourage your parents, program staff, community members, and supporters to complete steps 1 and 2!
The photos with the most “likes” will be in the running to win, with the final winners chosen by a panel of Expanded Learning Collaborative judges. Voting will close at 11:59 p.m. PST October 30th.
WINNERS will be announced November 4th! Winners will receive exciting new out of school time curriculum.
Note that only photos submissions with the required photo releases were entered into the contest.
Stay tuned and watch your inbox for news of which photos won the contest, announced November 4th! Winners will receive exciting new out of school time curriculum.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Please contact Sally Jenkins-Stevens at email@example.com